Saturday 30 March 2013

"What a difference a day makes...

...twenty four little hours"

Only fish of the day...just about scraped 5lb I think!
Our session on Thursday after Tuesday's pike-fest was bloody hard work. Between us me and Matt fished fourteen swims over a seven hour period for just one jack of about five pounds which I had on an old piece of frozen eel which had been donated by The Bishop. Compared to Tuesday there was a really biiter east wind blowing and this seems to have put the fish off.

It was my last pike session of my first piking season so here is a bit of a summary and a few observations:

Scores on the doors...first sesh' Jan 2nd since which I have been 13 times, caught 18 pike (8 doubles) best 17lb 8oz. To say I am pleased is an understatement....I can barely wait till the piking season starts again next September.

Most importantly, I must thank The Bishop (see link to his blog in side panel) for getting my pike fishing career off the ground. Also Matt for his company and friendly advice on the last few sessions.

Observations
... approx 12 of the pike took within thirty minutes of arriving in a swim and I don't think I caught at all if the swim hadn't produced after an hour....so next season I am going to move every 45 minutes if I haven't caught.
... approx 15 of the pike took in response to a fresh cast or twitching the bait....so next season I am going to twitch or even recast every 15 minutes.
... the closer you can get to features such as overhanging trees, shady corners, sunken trees and drop offs the better. Too many times I settled for a second rate cast. Compared to Matt, my casting skill and accuracy to features is laughable...so next season I must become a more accurate caster - especially underarm casting in tight swims.
....as The Bishop said I am Mr Lucky! I didn't even need to unhook five of my pike as the hooks fell out in the net! However, I only had two fish come off so my timing can't be that bad? Not sure of the learning point!
... all my fish were on floatfished deadbaits... so next season I want to catch legering and on a lure. Also fancy twitching a sprat or sardine.
... and finally next season I need a better and bigger net for my first ever twenty!

Comments or advice to this pike angling beginner welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment