Tuesday 12 March 2013

A touch of the Med in Arctic Norfolk!

As my bad back felt a bit better yesterday, I decided to give it a stretch and have a couple of hours at the Titchwell gull roost. With a windchill of minus 8C on went the Helly Hansen merino wool thermals, down jacket, two pairs of gloves etc  It was definitely a two wooly hat day as well!

Warm enough on the inside, it was the muscles in my face that felt the brunt of the freezing gale as I walked down the path to Parrinder hide. By the time I reached the hide, I had lost all sensation in my face and felt like I had had a jab at the dentist!
Approx five thousand gulls were present on the freshmarsh today







Settling down on one of the comfy stools I started sifting through five or six thousand gulls. With the help of a couple of other birders in the hide, no less than eight adult Mediterranean gulls were gradually located. This was a record count of Med gulls on the reserve for me so I was well chuffed. There were also a reasonable variety of waders around. I suspect the forty or so avocets (freshly returned for spring just a few days ago) wished they had stayed south in warmer climes.
One of the eight adult meds in the throng







I am itching to go piking again but think I'll leave it till Thursday or Friday as in all probability the gravel pits are frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment