Saturday 23 November 2013

Reflections on an autumn day...

Spot the float....
I couldn't stop thinking about the big pike I lost on Tuesday, so yesterday I'm back in the same overgrown swim, rod poking through the same branches waiting to see if she fancies a return match.

Two hours and nothing later I'm about to move pegs and the left hand rod goes... but I mess up the strike. Unknowingly, line had tangled around my rod rest and I'm (mostly) tightening into it rather than the fish. Most unprofessional, I could kick myself for not noticing.

Next peg for an hour - no bites, so I switch on to the adjacent pit. It's a very sheltered corner I haven't fished before and I opt to fish just a rod length out in about twelve feet of water. Soon I have a nice 8 pounder on the bank.

A couple of casts later and I've had one come off but on the next cast I catch a nice jack around three pounds. Then I have another come off - bugger! The Bishop thinks I should change hooks to barbed from semi-barbless and if it carries on like this I think I might!

I hardly lost a fish last season but in the last two sessions I've now had four come off....I'm going to have a think about what - if anything I'm doing differently.

I move to another peg where my orange topped floats blend perfectly with the reflections of the autumn leaves on the flat surface. All too soon it's too dark to see my floats and I pack up, already thinking about the next session.

Today, I deliberately fished one rod with a 49 strand wire trace and the other with a 9 strand trace. All four bites were on the more flexible 49 strand. This wire is actually a different colour as well - bronzey rather than silver colour... interesting...

Driving home, I'm reflecting on the day in my mind.....peace, solitude, still, calm, the reds, browns and golds of autumn, nature... God, I love this pike fishing lark!

Session stats: 1 x 8 pounder lamprey, 1 x 3lb sardine, 3 other missed fish (all sardine) 1045 to 1630hrs. 6C North easterly breezey flat calm later. 11.5 rod hours . No bites on brown trout or roach.

No comments:

Post a Comment