Tuesday 19 November 2013

Pathetic....

Dawn at Porthgwarra, the day before the storm.
Yes its pathetic... 6 months without a post.. here is a summary of activity since last May...

LOTS of birding has taken place though I failed to find an 'official' rarity. I did find one or two scarce birds. Highlights incude Bonelli's and yellow-browed warbler, a couple of Leach's petrels, Sabine's gull, more than 200 Sooty shearwaters in a day and several fully spooned Pomarine skuas. The long-eared owl I almost trod on in the dunes was also memorable!

The annual September seawatching pilgrimage to Cornwall was disappointing and despite a perfect storm that promised so much for the fifty of us that assembled at Pendeen lighthouse, no big 'shears' or rare petrels were forthcoming.

On to the fishing....

I broke my chub duck with no less than 20 fish on a club stretch of the Wensum. However, none of the fish topped even half a pound.

An old mate, Chris took me barbel fishing on the Trent near Newark and eventually on my third session I managed to actually land a fish I hooked.... a nice six pounder. On a subsequent session I also managed two more decent barbel and a couple of net sized chub.

Next up was a three day trip to the Wye with R'kid. Three barbel to seven pound, two near five pound chub and a ten pound pike being the result. As life long stillwater men, the fast running Wye was a steep learning curve for us! The trip is sure to become an annual event and plans are already being made for a more efficient assault on this wonderful river for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment