Monday 29 April 2013

This is a spot for the new season......

Sorry for lack of recent updates. A few days ago I had a stroll along a local stream that I am planning to fish once the river season opens again. It's a free stretch of river and reputed to hold roach, bream, dace and even the odd chub.

I was a bit taken aback when looking over a small bridge into the river I found this lot....

How many species and what size can you see here?
They were just part of a much bigger shoal containg maybe three or even four times the number of fish you can see here. Now, as you'll know if you've read my fishing profile, I am not very familiar with river fish but I reckon I could see sizeable roach getting on for the magic 2lb mark, bream in the 3lb range and nice looking chub. A real mixed bag! In addition, I think I saw dace and even (!) rainbow trout....well they had a nice pink flush running all the way down the lateral line area.



A nice bream on red robin pelet
Meanwhile I have fished just the once at my local club stillwater where I managed 5 perch in the1.5lb to 2lb range on legered half inch cubes of Spam, and three nice bream around the 3lb mark on hair-rigged red robin pellets. I also had around twenty perch on the float on maggot.No sign of the hoped for carp.....I've a lot to learn when it comes to carp.

I have still got the pike addiction and am reading up all I can about pike and tactics to try out come September which is also a key birding month .... I might not be seeing much of the house or garden!

1 comment: